The power of the N900 continues to amaze me again and again. I’ve been a big fan of the gstreamer media framework since shortly after I got my N900 at the Amsterdam Summit, but the possibilites that this brings to Maemo are really extraordinary compared to every other handset. Here is the latest example:
The last few evenings, I spent putting together a very simple (one REC button!) recording widget called “recaller”. Now, it is available for test and comment in extras-devel (CAUTION – this is the repository for possibly highly unstable software). From the description:
A simple widget to record the current phone conversation (AAC, 1 MB/min). Please be aware of local laws guiding the recording of telephone conversations!
- Can also be used as a normal voice recorder.
- Press ‘REC’ to start recording, make your call or record anything else using the in-built mic, press ‘REC’ again to stop.
- Recordings are saved to MyDocs and can be played back through e.g. the File Manager.
Roadmap/ToDo (might get done someday):
- Make it look better
- Allow recording of bluetooth conversations
- Add option to choose saving location
- Add beeping option
Wishlist (no idea if possible or interest in doing it)
- Include contact info / phone number in filename
Once you have a good environment and package setup in place, making new Maemo widgets becomes easy :-) In the last 10 days, I’ve released a IR remote widget for the Nikon DSLR (“shutter”), a sleep timer for the Media Player (“sleeper”), and now “recaller”.
Time to polish or churn out even more? Ideas abound :-)
PS: If this is your first python-homewidget, you need to reboot before it will show up on your desktop. Sorry, not my mistake, but a bug in a library I’m using.